I LOVE Harry Potter. I always have. I recently re-read the first book... I think it had been at least 10 years! Every time I went to re-read a Harry Potter book, for some reason I skipped the first one. I didn't realize how many things I had forgotten, or everything that the movies left out.
Here are some things that really surprised me:
1. Chapter 1 is written from Mr. Dursley's P.O.V. and he saw wizards celebrating because You-Know-Who was gone, although he didn't understand what was really happening.
2. There were more "weird events" that happened to Harry than I remembered. An ugly sweater that he didn't want to wear that shrank. His hair growing back after Petunia cut it really weird, and when running away from Dudley and his gang at a muggle school, Harry jumped on the roof. (I forgot that Harry would have attended muggle schools with Dudley before attending Hogwarts at 11... But it makes sense.)
3. The snake at the zoo was a boa constrictor that was bred in captivity. When Harry releases it, it says it is headed to Brazil, where it would be from. There is a supposed quote by J.K. Rowling saying that this snake, and Nagini, are the same. Based on what you just read, that makes NO sense. But whatevs. Sometimes I think the woman just likes to make stuff up now that the books are done.
4. Wizards approached Harry randomly when he was a child.
4. Wizards approached Harry randomly when he was a child.
5. 1st Hogwarts Letter- Addressed to the "Cupboard Under The Stairs." 2nd letter (and the many that follow before they leave), after they move Harry upstairs- Addressed to the "Smallest Bedroom." 3rd- "Railview Hotel." And the 4th (my fave)- "The Floor. Hut-On-The-Rock. The Sea." That is just funny.
6. You-Know-Who killed Harry's parents on Halloween.
7. In the book, Hagrid and Harry stay in the hut with the Dursleys overnight, and go to Diagon Alley the next day.
8. Harry goes BACK to the Dursleys after Hagrid takes him shopping and they take him to the platform.
9. Hedwig is a name Harry chooses out of "A History of Magic."
10. Dumbledore was in Gryffindore, according to Hermione.
If you decide to read a Harry Potter book, I recommend going back to #1. It's great. And then you'll probably end up reading all of them, like me. Thank goodness my husband, who has read NONE of the Harry Potter books, came into our marriage with books 1-5! I can't explain it, but I'm grateful.
Books > Movies. Always will be.
No comments:
Post a Comment